Phi Kappa Psi began on the campus of Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania on February 19, 1852. At this time, the Jefferson campus was facing a horrible case of Typhoid fever and two gentlemen, who worked to care for those effected, had a vision of something greater. It was on this day that these two gentlemen, William Henry Letterman and Charles Page Thomas Moore, came together to found an organization based upon the principle of serving others. It is this focus that has since become the maxim of our great Fraternity, "The Great Joy of Serving Others."
Since its founding, Phi Kappa Psi has expanded to over 160 campuses with over 120,000 men being inducted into the Brotherhood.